9 Nov, 2016:
Postmasters highlight need for urgent Government action to Joint Oireachtas Committee on Rural Affairs
The Irish Postmasters’ Union made a detailed presentation to the Joint Oireachtas Committee on Regional Development, Rural Affairs, Arts and the Gaeltacht on November 9, 2016.
The presentation was part of an information gathering process being led by the Committee. The hearing was also attended by An Post, the Irish League of Credit Unions, AIB and Bank of Ireland. The Committee is to compile a report on what can be done to support and sustain rural Ireland.
IPU General Secretary Ned O’Hara gave a presentation highlighting urgency for:
- Appropriate investment to protect the Network
- A comprehensive five-year plan
- Additional State services to be sanctioned
- Additional financial services to be provided
- New social and community services must be tested and delivered, particularly in rural areas.
- The IPU’s presentation begins at 0:51:40 on the timeline.
- The IPU’s response to questions asked by Committee Members is at 2:23:30 and 2:34:00 on the timeline.